- How I get things out of my head (with Things)
- I built a writing desk!
- Making the switch to Plausible analytics
- How to Change: The Science of Getting from Where You Are to Where You Want to Be (Katy Milkman; Portfolio)
- Finding the Mother Tree: Discovering the Wisdom of the Forest (Suzanne Simard; Knopf)
- Weird: The Power of Being an Outsider in an Insider World (Olga Khazan; Hachette Go)
I'm Aaron Sumner, of Astoria, Oregon, USA; by way of Lawrence, Kansas, Seattle, Washington, and Jersey County, Illinois.
I've worked on the web since 1994 when I began creating some of the very first departmental and organizational websites as an undergraduate at the University of Kansas. I'm currently a Senior Software Engineer at O'Reilly Media where I mostly write Ruby and React.
Most people who know me know me as a tech author, though; I wrote Everyday Rails Testing with RSpec and have blogged at Everyday Rails since 2010. These days I also think and talk and write a lot about embracing legacy systems, personal development and growth as a software developer, and the non-coding things it takes to be good at what we do.
I take advantage of every second I can away from a computer, too, through cooking, woodworking, running, and cat herding.
I still learn new things every day. Sometimes I share them here. Thanks for following along.